Wednesday, May 21, 2008

my civic duty

For the past 7 days, I've had the "privilege" of sitting on a jury of a medical malpractice case. Let me begin by saying that I fully understand that juries are a crucial part of the judicial process. The little video they showed the pool last Monday morning (featuring George Brett, Bryan Busby and some other KC familiars) told us of the importance of our civic duty, how we should feel privileged to serve, etc.

Maybe if the system wants people feel privileged aboutgiving up a week of their lives, they should reimburse them more than $6/day and $.07/mile. ABSURD.

I'm fortunate enough to have an employer who will still pay me for my courthouse time, but many in my group were either self-employed or worked for companies that didn't pay them a dime for those 7 days.

At least the case was interesting and I met some people in my group that I'll stay in touch with. Oh and there was a crazy murder case going on in the courtroom next to ours. So when they got a tip that someone was going to "shoot up the courthouse" if the defendant was found guilty, we had to play some fun lockdown games.

Back to work. Catching up is fun. Right.

1 comment:

The Aguilars said...

Yeah what a reimbursement for your time! I'm so glad your company pays you! At least it was an interesting case....